Multiple departments responded to a house fire in Blossom, Texas, today after a heater caught fire.

The fire began after the homeowner lit a heater in the house which caught fire which singed the homeowner’s facial hairs. The homeowner, according to Blossom Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jeff Stover, did not have any major injuries.

Several volunteer fire departments responded to the scene including BlossomFaughtPattonville, Reno, East Post Oak, and Deport in addition to the Lamar County Sheriff’s Office and Lamar County Emergency Management.

Firefighters were able to put the fire out before the entire home was claimed from the incident. According to Stover, the fire moved from the heather, up the wall and into the attic. A portion of the home was lost and the home sustained smoke damage throughout.

“It’s that time of year where it’s cooling off and people will be lighting heaters throughout the coming months,” said Stover. “It’s a really good reminder to be cautious and mindful when lighting up heaters and to make sure they are cleaned out really well.”

*Editors note: This story was updated at 5:45 p.m.

ADVERTISEMENT