Last night a Paris fire was caused by en exploding e-cigarette which sent one for medical aid with burns to the face. “The small fire started in the floor of the home and was quickly extinguished by the Paris Fire Department,” cited Fire Chief Larry Wright.
Wright “says these exploding e-cigarettes are all too common.” They are operated by lithium batteries with a heating element; putting people at a potential risk. According to FEMA, 80% of e-cigarette explosions happen during charging. However, there have been cases of exploding e-cigarettes while the device is on or near the person. One example was a Idaho man working at a Wine Store in Grand Central Station in NYC who’s exploding e-cigarette video went viral as his device caught on fire in his pants. The man was hospitalized after the event.
While you can’t always protect yourself from faulty devices. Whether they be e-cigarettes, cell phones, or laptops, or any device that uses batteries with heat, you can take a few simple precautions to lower your risk of your e-cigarette ending in fiery disaster.
1) Always know your brand and avoid counterfeits. Buy from a reputable source, read reviews and ask those in the know for advice if you need to. If in doubt, just stick with an American brand. The manufacturing standards in the USA are superior to China, where the majority of these devices come from, making your Made in the US items safer in general and less likely to malfunction.
2) Only charge with the charger and power adapter that comes with the battery.
3) Do not plug into computers, or other USB-capable devices.
4) Find a device that has a battery you remove from the atomizer to charge, these appear to be safer than the models that stay attached when charging.
5) Never overcharge your battery. Do not leave it plugged in unattended when you are asleep or away from the home.
6) Use cases to protect your batteries. Be careful throwing your device and batteries in your pocket or purse, especially with things like keys or coins that can also compromise the batteries safety.