Last week I shared with you all my new favorite drink to cozy up with when it is cold outside. This week, I am sharing with you an all-time favorite, Hot Chocolate, with a healthy twist.
This recipe is all natural, dairy free and refined sugar free with some additional health boosting ingredients that when combined, will not only satisfy your sweet tooth, but also support your overall health.
Homemade Healthy Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup dairy free milk (almond, coconut, cashew)
- 1 Tablespoon 100% organic cacao powder (not to be confused with cocoa powder)
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Sprinkle of cayenne
- Raw unfiltered honey to taste
- 1-2 scoops vital proteins collagen peptides
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and warm over medium high heat
- Mix thoroughly until well combined, pour into a cup, snuggle up under a blanket and enjoy!
Health Benefits of Cacao
At first glance, it may seem like cacao and cocoa are the same thing, but they are not. Cacao powder is made by cold pressing unroasted cocoa beans. This process keeps the living enzymes in the cocoa which are beneficial for digestion, proper hormone regulation, reducing inflammation and more. Cocao on the other hand is roasted at high temperatures which changes the molecular structure of the cocoa bean, reduces the overall enzyme content and lowers the overall nutritional value.
100% organic cacao powder contains tons of health benefitting antioxidants that can repair the damage caused by free radicals in the body and many also reduce the risk of many cancers. It is also rich in the mineral magnesium, iron, copper zinc, potassium and manganese.
For the health benefits of other ingredients in this recipe, make sure to check out last week’s post.
For more recipe ideas and health consulting services I offer, please visit my website at www.holisticallyfed.com!